Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Not My First Rodeo.

Recently Rhode Island Monthly decided to run an article about me and my cartooning. Finding the notion of it strange and exciting at the same time, I ran with it in order to promote my cartoon "Knot Rite".

Running the article was decided by them some months ago. I was beginning to think they'd drop the idea when I received a phone call from an assistant art director to set up a photo shoot for the article. Darn! I had hoped it would be just my words and a cartoon. What I look like would remain a mystery. I could be an enigma. But, nay! They would take pictures of me pretending that I'm drawing and the like. Silly poses I hope don't trump my cartoons for humor.

Being that I was excited about this exposure, I decided to write about it. Then it dawned on me. This isn't my first rodeo. The UA Journal had a write up about me years ago.* It's a strange thing to have articles written up about you. On the one hand it's flattering. But on the other, I like anonymity. I like to hide behind my cartoons. But ironically, cartoons don't sell themselves. Not usually. One must sell the whole package, I suppose. The cartoonist has to be part and parcel to his creation.

Ironic. It's not my first rodeo, but each positive step forward always feels like the first.

* see picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment